Facial paralysis is a condition that significantly impacts the quality of life for affected individuals. Accurate and timely assessment of facial paralysis severity is crucial for planning appropriate medical interventions. This postgraduate project aims to introduce a novel solution, “A Transfer Learning Approach for Facial Paralysis Severity Detection,” leveraging Python and web technologies to provide an efficient and accessible tool for clinicians and healthcare professionals.
Current methods of assessing facial paralysis severity often rely on manual evaluations by healthcare practitioners, leading to subjectivity and potential variations in diagnosis. Objective and automated systems for severity detection are limited, hindering efficient patient care.
The proposed system introduces a transfer learning-based approach for facial paralysis severity detection. By leveraging pre-trained deep learning models on facial expression datasets, the system aims to adapt and fine-tune these models for accurate severity assessments, reducing the reliance on manual evaluations.
The lack of an automated and objective system for facial paralysis severity detection impedes the efficiency of diagnosis and treatment planning. A reliable tool is needed to assist healthcare professionals in accurately assessing and monitoring the severity of facial paralysis.
This project is motivated by the potential to enhance healthcare practices related to facial paralysis. By employing transfer learning, the system seeks to capitalize on the knowledge gained from large facial expression datasets, providing a robust and objective tool for severity detection.
- Data Collection and Preprocessing:
- Gathering a diverse dataset of facial images depicting various degrees of facial paralysis.
- Preprocessing data to ensure uniformity and suitability for transfer learning.
- Transfer Learning Model Training:
- Utilizing pre-trained deep learning models (e.g., VGG16, ResNet) for feature extraction.
- Fine-tuning the model on the specific task of facial paralysis severity detection.
- Web Interface for Severity Assessment:
- Developing a user-friendly web interface for clinicians to upload patient images and receive severity assessments.
- React.js for dynamic and responsive user interactions.
- Python for deep learning model implementation.
- Flask or Django for web server development.
- Storage for patient data and severity assessments.
- Transfer Learning Algorithm:
- VGG16, ResNet for feature extraction and fine-tuning.
Hardware and Software Requirements:
- Standard computing devices with internet connectivity.
- Modern web browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox).
- Python environment with necessary deep learning libraries (TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Flask or Django for backend development.
The system adopts a client-server architecture, where the React.js-based frontend communicates with the Python backend for severity assessment. The deep learning model is integrated into the backend, allowing real-time analysis of uploaded facial images.
- Python, Flask or Django.
- Deep Learning:
- TensorFlow or PyTorch for transfer learning.
Web User Interface:
The web interface is designed to be intuitive, allowing clinicians to easily upload patient images and receive severity assessments. Visual representations aid in understanding and interpreting the severity scores, facilitating efficient decision-making in treatment planning.
This project endeavors to bridge the gap between manual evaluations and objective assessments of facial paralysis severity. By introducing a transfer learning approach, the system aims to provide a reliable and accessible tool that contributes to improved patient care and treatment outcomes.